Professor Dr. Amr Ezzat Salama
Minister of High Education and Scientific Research
I am sending to you this message regarding the measures taken concerning the Students Union Elections at Cairo University as it implied many violations and discreditable procedures on the time when every one was looking forward for free and honest elections in agreement with the political atmosphere spreading nowadays in Egypt and the whole world, as, it appeared these political changes which resulted in holding presidential elections with some transparency, besides, many of the aspects that accompanied the parliamentary elections have changed from what it used to be, yet, still it is not wholly clean. Moreover; in spite of receiving many repeated promises that the students elections will witness big cultural move, we all were over taken and even shocked from what happened starting from the students’ candidate procedures and ending with the announcement of the final lists; and the most outstanding of these discreditable procedures were:
1. The announcement for opening the door of candidacy took place at the end of the day exactly before the Al-Eid holiday (Tuesday 1/ 11) considering the candidacy to be at the first day soon after the holiday (Sunday 6/ 11) and lasting one day, so that, missing the chance for many students to go for candidacy.
2. The refusal of the Youth Sponsorship Employees to give the students running for candidacy any sealed receipt or one carrying the name of the University or even the Faculty informing them that these are the University rector deputy instructions to the Students Affairs, as he stated in response to whether these instructions are his that he aims not to enable the students to use the receipts in bringing any lawsuit against them.
3. The announcement of the students’ final lists did not take place until the end of Thursday 10/ 11 considering the beginning of the elections to be at Saturday 12/ 11 so that not giving the students any chance to contest any oppressing measures.
4. The majority of the students have been canceled except those belonging to the security or the Faculty Administration without any right, but in response to the security recommendations whose prints are still clear and unquestionable in directing many of the administrative decisions concerning the students’ activities inside the University and even the staff society board members and their assistant’s affairs.
Yet, what causes me much pain is that many of these decisions are imputed to you sir, when we all know quite well that this contrasts the Minister Personality whom we have known as a prominent member at the Engineering Syndicate Supreme Council, and, as a Chief of the Staff Society Members Club at Helwan University; sponsoring the Staff Society Members’ interests and seeking education reform.
All these matters are increasing fears and anxieties regarding the new proposed draft law, of which we are brought good tidings that it well include many disadvantages, which in turn will bring to the University more domination, oppression, and tyranny.
These going on violations and oppressing practices from the University Administration leads to many serious outcomes inside the University and of which some will negatively reflect on the society.
1. As, the increasing feeling of oppression of many of the students will affect their loyalty to this country.
2. And the feeling that this oppression is coming especially from the University leaders surely will distort the model which the students have towards their professors.
3. Moreover, the students feelings that there is no hope for them to obtain their own rights according to constitution and law will open the doors of thought deviation and will prepare the suitable atmosphere for the appearance of extremism and violence practices, and this will form time bombs which will afterwards inflict the society and the fruits we will reap will be pain and remorse, furthermore, we will be responsible of these outcomes in front of Allah and the history.
By sending this message I am only alarming against danger, so that we have to avoid Egypt these repercussions, besides, you Sir Minister will be asked before Allah Exalted be He on every negative matter resulting from a strict administrative decision or an oppressive administrative draft law, and may mercy be upon the prophet’s companion Omar Ibn- Elkhatab as he said “I swear by Allah that if a mule slipped in Iraq I would fear that Allah may ask me why haven’t you paved the way for it Omar”
Thus, am saying to you; do not kill the hope inside the people hearts, and pave the way for them to keep their love and loyalty to their home, yet, we are advising you because we do love goodness for you in this life and in the hereafter, the day whereon neither the wealth nor the sons will avail, but only will prosper who brings to Allah a sound heart.
May Allah guides you to what he loves and accepts,
Doctor/ Essam Abd-Elhaleem Hashish